Commemorating 100 years for care and compassionSubscribe Now

Campaigns & Appeals

blanket appeal dog copy NewspaperAs a not-for-profit organisation with thousands of lost and unwanted animals to care for each year, it’s no wonder the Home has faced some serious financial challenges over the past 100 years. It is thanks to the generosity of our donors, benefactors and auxiliaries that the Home is still open to welcome in our centenary year.

And it’s not just monetary support that keeps the Home afloat. Caring animal lovers have played a vital role with donations of essential items such as food, blankets and toys.

Pictured right: One of the Home’s former residents promoting the winter blanket appeal

Appeal for Aid
1926 – Calling for financial support from the community 

It soon became apparent that the original facilities were not adequate for the enormous task at hand and expenses continued to grow. In 1926 the Home appointed its first ‘collector,’ Miss M Caldwell, whose role was to raise money through subscriptions and donations, as well as promote the work of the Home. Her efforts raised much needed revenue for the Home until the effects of the depression hit from 1930. Utilising these funds, the Home was in a position to construct much needed new yards in 1929. Pictured left: The Home’s committee appeal for financial aid from the community

June and Jennie
1970s – The formation of ‘The Strays’

A group of young influential business women led by the late Jennie Ham, bandied together to boost the Home’s profile and raise vital funds to improve the conditions at the Home. Over the next decade, ‘The Strays’ enthusiastically organised many social events which were well-attended by socialites and celebrities and generated extensive media coverage. Jennie Ham and June Tsindos also joined the Board, where they were instrumental in bringing about change. Pictured right: Founding members of ‘The Strays’ Jennie Ham (L) and June Tsindos (R) present a cheque from one of their many fundraising activities to the Home’s board chairman Mr H.M. Shaw.

1986 – Stan Moore commences PR and fundraising activities

In 1986, a feasibility study concluded that the Home needed to raise its profile and thus Stan Moore came on board as our PR and Fundraising support. Stan worked tirelessly over the next 20 years boosting our media coverage and producing the Home’s much-loved newsletter. In 2012, the Home’s new sick and injured shelter was named in his honour.

dog_donation_box

1986 – Launch of Christmas Food Appeal

Since 1986, Woolworths stores across greater Melbourne have supported the Home’s Christmas pet food appeal. To this day, this donated food from the community helps to feed the thousands of dogs and cats that come into our care. Pictured left: A Woolworths pet food donation bin

Support
2003 – Donations become tax deductible

In 2003, donations to the Home become tax deductible for the first time – a huge win after lobbying efforts over many years.

2003 – Friend of PAWS program commences

With donor numbers falling, a turning point was the Crisis Appeal of 2003, which raised three times as much income as any previous appeal. This led to the establishment of the Friend of Paws program for regular monthly donations.

Frank SamwaysCMYK
2008 – Frank Samways’ generous bequest

The Home receives its biggest donation to date, a $3 million bequest from businessman and animal lover Frank Samways. This generous bequest funded the building of the Frank Samways Veterinary Clinic – the Home’s new state-of-the-art veterinary hospital, which opened in December 2012. Pictured left: The late Frank Samways with the Home’s general manager Dr Graeme Smith OAM

Copyright The Lost Dogs' Home 2013